Mobile application development for multiple mobile platforms
Build standalone applications targeted at one or more mobile platforms using new mobile support for ActionScript® and Flex projects. Both Design View and Code View now support mobile development, leveraging new mobile-ready components for optimal touchscreen user experience and on-device performance.
Previewing, debugging, and profiling of mobile applications
Test mobile applications on the desktop using a mobile Adobe® AIR® runtime emulator, or test on a locally connected mobile device using a one-click process to package, deploy, and launch.
Packaging and signing of mobile applications
Deploy, package, and sign required resources as a platform-specific installer file for upload to a mobile application distribution site or store.
Take advantage of best-practice code templates (aka snippets) for ActionScript, MXML, and CSS, now shipping with Adobe Flash® Builder™. Use the content assist functionality to review available templates and insert them into code. Create custom code templates and import or export templates for sharing within or across teams.
Metadata code completion
Benefit from enhanced content assist functionality with metadata code completion, which provides suggestions for both Flex software development kit (SDK) and custom metadata tags.
Easily view grouped collections of templates, variables, functions, classes, and so on when using content assist thanks to ActionScript proposal cycling.
Get access to variable renaming, variable manipulation, generation of getter/setters, generation of event handlers, organization of imports, and much more with Quick Assist/Fix. Use the override/implements feature to define methods from a superclass or interface.
More coding improvements
Accelerate your coding with new and updated coding features including block selection and edit mode; next/previous subword navigation; code formatting of MXML documents; CSS class reference content assist, navigation, refactoring; and much more.
Bidirectional designer and developer project workflow
Enjoy new support in Adobe Flash Catalyst® CS5.5 and Flash Builder 4.5 that enables designers to open, make changes to, and save Flex projects that were either created or previously edited by a developer using Flash Builder. Use the new Flash Builder compatibility checker to help ensure that application code and project structure will allow the user interface to be created and edited using Flash Catalyst CS5.5.
Creation of custom Spark components for designer skinning
Rapidly prototype user interface elements and build component business logic by creating custom Spark component classes. Skin components using Flash Catalyst to open the project and convert visual artwork to the required component parts.
Customizable Flash Builder
Customize how Flash Builder generates MXML and ActionScript code, specify trigger keys to invoke content assist, specify keys to accept auto-complete suggestions, specify standalone Adobe Flash Player versions for launch and debug, and utilize external FlexUnit SWCs.
Design View improvements
Speed up development with Design View improvements such as improved performance, rendering improvements for complex projects, auto-collapse of data-binding expressions, Design View warnings for incompatible SWCs, visual feedback for drag/drop operations, and more.
Latest platform support
Take advantage of new platform support for Eclipse™ 3.6 (Helios) and the standard Eclipse for Java™ distribution; the Cocoa version of Eclipse on Mac OS X; and Flash Player 10.1, Adobe AIR 2.5, and Flex SDK 4.5, including the new Spark Datagrid, Form and Image controls for web/desktop applications, plus runtime shared library (RSL) and compiler enhancements.
Improved performance to support large-application development
Speed up large Flex application development with a 65% reduction in the time required for refactoring operations on projects with a large number of dependent libraries, a 60% reduction in memory required to profile complex applications, and improved profiler responsiveness for complex applications.
If you're still using Adobe Flex® Builder™ 3, Flash Builder 4.5 will also add:
- File template support — Edit default templates for MXML, ActionScript, and CSS files.
- ASDoc content display — Hover over code or use code hinting to display ASDoc information.
- States code visibility — De-emphasize code that is not applicable to the current state.
- Move refactoring — Move multiple classes and packages within a project.
- Rename refactoring — Rename classes and packages within a project.
- Indent code — Correct indentation on selected code (with preferences to control indentation style).
- Content assist proposal cycling — Refine hints shown for code completion, selecting from All, Properties, Events, Effects, and Styles.
- Content assist camel case — Type camel case characters to view matching properties (for example, ADG for Advanced Data Grid).
- View call hierarchy — Display all the callers of a selected function, variable, class, or interface identifier.
- Organize imports — Alphabetically sort import statements for required classes.
- Override indicators — See which methods are overridden by viewing the icon in the gutter bar in Code View.
- Indent on code paste — Benefit from automatic indentation of code pasted into an existing class or MXML document.
- Code folding — Expand/collapse blocks of ActionScript code.
- Debugging enhancements:
- Expression evaluations — Inspect and modify code expressions that are evaluated whenever debugging is selected.
- Run to line debug — Break out of a loop during a debugging session.
- Conditional breakpoints — Specify conditions for breakpoints to stop the debugger from executing when specific conditions are met.
- Watchpoints — Halt execution when the watched variable changes value.